Wednesday, February 17, 2010


"Life is largely a matter of expectation." Horace
Today I want to talk about expectations. I think expectations are ultimately what create our experience. I have stated that thoughts become our reality, but in truth, I don’t believe every day random thoughts create much of anything. Continual thoughts with emotion behind them lead to beliefs, and beliefs generate our expectations. And, I believe, expectations are the building blocks of our very lives.

This weekend was a good example of this for me. I believe that I am very lucky. By lucky, I don’t mean accidental good things happen to me. I mean that I cause good things to happen to me. I expect good things to happen to me. I lost my debit card this weekend. I never panicked about this. I just knew it would be found and all would be fine. I expected it to turn out that way. Someone found my debit card and took it to my bank. Isn’t that amazing? I love people. It is one thing to find a card and just not use it, but to return it to the bank is really exceptional. I am so grateful. I knew all along it would turn out fine, but I’m always thankful for the generosity and good nature of people.

Years ago I used my thoughts to create this reality. I told myself over and over that I was very lucky. I would turn the radio off in the car and I would repeat this to myself over and over. I eventually believed I was lucky and I expected good things to happen to me. I can think of countless instances of how this paid off for me. Here are some examples:

*I was by myself, driving from Indiana to California (adventurous me!). At 2AM, I was in that stretch of Kansas or Utah or somewhere where very few people inhabit. I locked my keys in my car at a gas station. No AAA, closest friend three states away. As I stood there and scratched my head, a locksmith pulled up to the pump next to me!

*I needed a place to live, and I didn’t have much to spend per month. I got a call from a friend who found me a beautiful place to live, great location, great neighbors, huge rooms, fully furnished, for incredibly cheap! Really, crazy cheap!

*I won an eye surgery to correct my vision!

*I won a 42”, flat screen, plasma TV at a Super bowl Party!

*My son and I were in the Atlanta airport when they grounded tons of planes because they needed to be inspected. A door had fallen off of a plane earlier in the day. It was awful! So my son and I were in a line – hundreds of people in front of us, hundreds of people behind us. A gentleman came out of no where, offered us a Preferred Member pass, and we were the last two people on one of the very few planes leaving Atlanta that night!

I have way too many of these stories to list here. But I want you to think about your expectations. If they aren’t what you want them to be, then drill new thoughts in your head until you begin to believe them. Your expectations will follow your beliefs. Expect it and it will be reflected in your physical experience. I believe good things happen to me. And, therefore, they do!! So now it is time for me to go bigger! I expect to succeed at producing something spectacular this year! You with me?? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment