Tuesday, February 2, 2010


One of the simpler goals I set this year was to surround myself with more good people. I’m actually so blessed in this area. I don’t have much work to do here because I have been working at this my entire life! People are what matter to me. I crave those deep belly laughs where you have to hold onto your knees so you don’t fall! You just can’t get those when you are by yourself (and if you can, drop me a note and tell me how!). I love sitting around with friends and family, smiling so much I have to massage my cheekbones so they don’t cramp. I even love hanging out with strangers. I’ve been known to go to a pub in a city at happy hour, order a Guinness (so it will seem like the longest afternoon in my life when I have to choke down two! Sorry, Guinness lovers!), and spend the afternoon getting to know all the people who are bellied up to the bar with me! Good people, who want to share their stories, can be found nearly anywhere when you look. :)

I have figured out that loving the company of others also requires some discernment. For those people who get more of my time than a day at the pub :), I insist they feed my soul. There have been periods in my life where I’ve looked around and realized I’m being judged by the very people who I consider friends. So much so, that oftentimes I didn't even feel comfortable being myself. These days I tend to quickly rectify that – but occasionally I hold on to a bad situation for entirely too long – at an unexplainable attempt to make it better if I put enough energy and time into it. If you’re wondering, this doesn’t work. Heaven knows I should have this lesson learned by now, but I’m not guaranteeing that!

However, surely, I have learned something in my years on earth, so these are my words of wisdom for the day. :) Your best friends should be your mirrors that reflect your goodness back to you.

My best friends (and Mom) see the best in me. They really do. When I am with them, I feel it. They really believe in me. They even believe in me when I’m not sure I believe in myself. I can be in a ditch, on my back, with no plan for how to get out -- and here they come, ladder in hand. And as they haul my butt out, they place no judgment, they caste no stones. They always, always look at me and see goodness; so honestly that they remind me when I am incapable of seeing it myself. I know these kinds of friends are rare and incredible blessings. I even know some people don’t have this. So how do you get these friendships if you don’t have them? Or more of these friendships should you desire more?

Give it. It’s as simple as that.

I want more this year. My plan?? I will offer it more.

I think it’ll work. :)

And PS, know you are worthy. See yourself in love with life, then all of the sudden; you’re in love with all of those around you. And that is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment