Sunday, January 31, 2010

I've finally got it figured out. I think! :)


I’d like to start by saying that I am honored that many great people are reading my blog and offering me encouraging feedback. It means more than I can say. I love you guys!

I’d like to go back to something I mentioned previously. I said I wouldn’t focus much on this, and I don’t plan to, but I realized it is important that I elaborate just a little on body image related to my ideal life. If it was possible to get paid to obsess about body image, well, I’d already be a millionaire, guaranteed! And this seems like an important topic to discuss because who is NOT concerned with their body image? I really don’t know. I admire those people if they are out there. I’m sure there are some, and they probably look great because they aren’t creating a flawed body by worrying about having a flawed body!

I have thought about this subject, and talked about it, and obsessed about it since I was 17 years old (all the while, having a body that many women would be elated to have.) I don’t know where this obsession stemmed from. My poor friends have listened to me for years drone on and on about my latest fixation – low-fat diet, Adkins diet, grapefruit diet, kickboxing, Tai-bo, Pilates, yoga, yada, yada, yada. And I was halfway aware that I was the skinny girl who probably annoyed people – but I was so obsessed with the topic that I couldn’t help but talk about it. If I stood outside of myself for a moment, I knew I was being ridiculous, but I didn’t know how to “change my mind”.

Once I realized I create my reality, and certainly my body, by my thoughts and beliefs, I thought this would be an easy thing to fix. I identified the thoughts that I didn’t want, like “I can’t eat that.” or “I HAVE to go to the gym.” etc. And I decided to have new thoughts that I liked better like, “I can eat whatever I want.” and “I won’t exercise unless it is something really fun and I really want to!” And I decided that was that, easy as pie!

See, I was just sure that my body would be perfect because I would hold the vision and MAKE myself believe that my body is perfect, no matter what! I thought I would tell myself that, if I want to, I can eat chocolate drizzled on everything. And even if I eat bacon with every meal I will still be healthy and look great! Oh, I was excited about this. A perfect body and all I had to do all along was change my beliefs about food and exercise and how those affect my body! Yippy!

Right?

Well, I do believe it IS that easy. I think it IS possible if I really, truly believed it. But, as it turns out, I didn’t really believe it! I mentioned before that I learned real quickly how difficult it can be for me to UNDO beliefs that aren’t working for me. And hopefully, this year that will be less of a problem for me. But let me tell ya, I wrestled with this set of beliefs ALL the time – and I lost!

But, I finally got it worked out! Tomorrow I’m going to tell you my secret! I imagine you’re on pins and needles. :) I don’t have a lot of stuff figured out in life – but maybe I’m onto something with this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment